Sunday, August 3, 2008

Church

In my short time in Kenya, I've attended two churches. The first Sunday was spent at an international fellowship that meets right on my school's campus. It's purpose is to feed and fill expatriates who give to other ministries throughout the week. It is very much like most Christian churches you'd find in the States. Today I attended a Kenyan church with a small handful of other mzungas (white people) in the congregation. It meets in a very large tent with sound equipment, stage, and big white screen for worship. It has an English service with praise and worship containing English and Kiswahili songs. I really liked the Kenyan church. It focuses on social justice (I know my Oregon family will like that.) and community building and outreach. Although I may try some other churches with friends, I think I might have found my new church family - Karura Community Chapel.This picture is a good representation of Karura, which is a little smaller than what you see here. But the red dirt, surrounding trees, and few cars give you an idea of my Sunday morning experience.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah!! The Kenyan church sounds like the right fit for you. I'm excited that you are already plugging into the greater community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats wonderful! I am prying for you and miss you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that you've found a church (maybe)! And, yes, I think your oregon fam will like the bit about social justice! It's so fun to read your blog and see what you're up to.

    ReplyDelete