Monday, May 10, 2010

Muzungus on Safari

Muzungu means "white person" in Swahili. And all white people in Kenya MUST go on safari. So two months ago, when my family came to Kenya for our wedding, we went on a great African safari. Being that I LOVE safari, it was a great excuse to go see Africa's best and most beautiful parts. I chose to take my special guests to Amboseli National Park on the border of Tanzania. With Mt. Kilimanjaro looming over us, it was a picturesque place to see a good bit of Africa in a short period of time. The best part of the trip for me was how impressed everyone was with their experience. I think they thought they would be "roughing it", but Kenya does safari well!
We woke up at 6am to catch a ride in our land cruiser (thank you Will for the upgrade!) and headed on the four hour drive to the park. Along the way we saw zebras on the side of the road and Masai herding their cattle.
In the park, which is known for its vast elephant population, we saw a variety of animals. No big cats this time, but a lot of elephants, gazelle, zebra, giraffe, buffalo, hippo, and more.
We stayed at a tented camp, whose name is very deceiving. A pool, luxury bathroom with bidet, and multi-course meals were all part of the package. As Molly kept repeating again and again, "This is AMAZING!"
After two days of seeing Africa's interesting animals and landscape, we headed back home. On the way back, we learned that they had closed the road we used to get to the park. It just didn't exist anymore! So we ended up with a bumpy ride home on a typical Kenyan road, rather than the short-cut to the nice highway. Bethany's response after a couple hours of jostling was, "If anyone ever complains to me about bad roads, I'll say come to Kenya." Despite the bumps, we made it home safely and everyone was still in one piece.

Remember family and friends, there is always an open invitation to Kenya! I can't promise a smooth ride, but I can promise a unique experience.

4 comments:

  1. great pics! i didn't experience the kenya where you could wear pants... i should've come early and joined you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i want to go on this safari next time we come. Mt. Kili in the background-WOW! Thanks for continuing to post, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Erin, I agree, thank you for continuing to post Kim. I love to see pics with folks I actually know in them.

    Best,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some awesome pictures! When are you two heading to Europe? More countries to cross off your list... :)

    ReplyDelete