Monday, May 10, 2010

Zanzibar, Tanzania

I'm backtracking a bit to show you the sites of our "mini-honeymoon" in March. We spent four days in Zanzibar on the most beautiful beach I've ever seen in my life. Beats Hawaii and Thailand by a landslide!
We went into Stonetown, a famous port of Zanzibar, where the slave trade once thrived. The church below is built over the slave auction block. We stood on the pulpit, where slaves once stood in chains to be sold. It was a very somber place to be.
I love Zanzibar architecture. They're very famous for their intricate wooden doors, like the one this lady is standing in front of. (Notice the bike helmet she's wearing - gotta love it!)
A dhow at sunset.
More Zanzibar architecture in Stonetown...
We meandered through the maze of narrow streets,
And spent time on the white sand beach.
I highly recommend Zanzibar for a vacation spot. It was a great mini-honeymoon in Africa. Now I'm looking forward to the real honeymoon in Europe this summer. More architecture and historical pictures to come...

3 comments:

  1. Glad to see that travel bug of yours satisfied. Love ya both.

    Blessings,

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, sign me up for a trip to Zanzibar! Looks gorgeous!!!! What major airport do you fly into?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you have taken some great pictures – what type of camera do you use?

    Looks like you had a nice time in Zanzibar anyways. :)

    ReplyDelete