Saturday, April 9, 2011

Recent Reads

Kenya affords a lot of free time that living in America doesn't. With that time I often read. Here are some of the latest I've enjoyed.

The Teacher's Funeral by Richard Peck. This is a children's novel gifted to me by my mother-in-law. Very cute for adults and 10-12 year olds alike. For all my friends who have taken a sabbatical from the teaching profession, grab this book from the library and have a great flash-back to your teaching days. For my UK friends, read this book and gain a little more understanding why Americans are the way they are. :)


Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. Recently made into a film with Keira Knightley, this book was truly a mysterious twister. It did not go the direction I thought it would, which made it very engaging. It takes place in the UK, which was fun for me because I actually knew what rounders and village referred to. You don't have to know these British terms to enjoy the book however. Definitely a good book.

The Temptress by Paul Spicer. Scandal, affairs, murder, Kenya. And it's all true! It's another theory book on the mysterious murder of Lord Errol, a white colonial in Kenya during the 20's and 30's. To me it's so interesting how the colonial "Happy Valley" group lived with their wild parties, spouse swapping, and hunting safaris in the early years of colonial Kenya. Particularly interesting since I know the places they talk about and have been to many of them, but interesting to anyone who likes a real-life mystery or biography. It's almost so crazy it's hard to believe it's all true sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment