Friday, June 24, 2011

What I've learnt in British school...

I've been teaching at an international British school for the last year. After 10 years of American schools, this was a different teaching experience. This is what I've learnt:

In British school we say "learnt" more often than "learned".
In British school we play netball and rounders. (Girly versions of basketball and softball, if you ask this American.)
In American school we say "negative one" in math, but in British school we say "minus one" in mathS.
It's rubbish, not trash.
The bin, not the garbage can.
And at the end of the day, I'm knackered! (Not just tired.)

Thank you to my dear Brits who have checked my spelling, corrected my pronunciations, and explained unknown phrases all year. If you ever switch to American school, I'm there for you!

1 comment: