Thursday, September 22, 2011

What's in style in Hungary?

The mornings have a nip in the air and the nights are cooling down in Budapest. As the weather changes, so does the wardrobe of Hungarians. Coats, boots, scarves, and... TIGHTS. Women are coming out in full force, still donning their skirts, but covering their legs with tights. Now these are not just plain colored tights you wore when you were seven. You can see black and brown and the old tan-nylon ones our mothers wore (or wear). And then you can see red, turquoise, and green. But the best are the patterned ones with designs and colors that you find on old drapes (the kind that Fraulein Maria would use to make clothes for the Von Trapp kids). I'm not kidding! Today the lady next to me on the bus had tights that looked like a brown doily. I suppose the various designs and colors give character and individuality to personal fashion. However, I just don't think I can adopt this particular European style. Deep down I keep thinking of eight year old Kim wearing white tights with purple hearts all over them. And what was cool at eight, just isn't so cool in your 30's.

Europe, I love your Zara's and H&M's and Promod's, but I just can't do the tights.

I may be eating my words in a year's time. We'll see...!

4 comments:

  1. you'll be eating your words :) i have grey and purple and planning to get more this year. ha! embracing my inner 8 year old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So maybe I've just been out of the fashion loop for so long I just don't realize that colorful tights have circumnavigated the world already. Gotta get with the times! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes! you're up on perpetual summer styles...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Bekah...I think you'll be donning tights before your time in Eastern Europe is over. =)

    ReplyDelete