Sunday, January 12, 2014

Morning Run

I recently read this...  6 Secrets to Getting Up for a Morning Workout

The one they left out was: #1 Live in a place where the sun rises before people do.

I like to run.  Margit Sziget is my sanctuary in the city where a run through the trees and paths is my own time, away from everything and everyone, time to think, time to let go, time to firm up my butt.  But in winter... this is very difficult.  When the sun rises after I get to work and sets before I leave work, it's very difficult to be motivated to go run on a cold, dark morning.  Or a cold, dark night.  But on the weekend, when I can get up after the sun rises, a morning run is perfect.  Even in winter (when there isn't ice floating down the Danube yet).

One of my favorite things about my Margit Sziget runs is an old man I often see.  He's usually somewhere along the path I take.  He's walking along or sitting on one of the benches, watching the runners go by.  And as I run past, he always gives me some encouraging words.  Or they're what I assume are encouraging words.  He's speaking in Hungarian and my headphones are in my ears.  But the smile on his face and the pump of his fist let me know that he is saying, "Good job.  Keep going." He always makes me smile.  And gives me a little pick-up in my stride.  I love that old encouraging Hungarian coach.  Just wish the sun would start rising earlier so I can see him more than once a week.

Winter Run
Spring Run 
Summer Run
Autumn Run

1 comment: